General Services Assistant
Announcement Number: Nouakchott-2023-038
Hiring Agency: Embassy Nouakchott
Position Title: General Services Assistant
Open Period: 09/26/2023 – 10/17/2023
Vacancy Time Zone: GMT
Series/Grade: LE – 0905 9
Salary: MRU 996,939
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours/weekly
Promotion Potential: LE-9
Duty Location(s): 1 Vacancy in
Telework Eligible: Yes
For More Info: HR Section
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification from the Agency:
All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
Appointment Type: Permanent
Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
All those interested in this offer are invited to apply without distinction of gender.
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (2 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: Yes
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
Travel Required: Not Required
The incumbent is responsible for the day-to-day supervision and coordination of GSO functional units (Procurement, Warehouse/Supply, Shipping/Customs, Motor pool, Leasing, Travel). Incumbent ensures proper and timely support is provided to all Mission staff and ICASS subscribers.
The position manages most, if not all, of the following portfolios at post
General Services (60%)
- Identifies procurement needs and plans accordingly.
- Manages procurement of goods and services, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of procurement documents and records; prepares budget requests; and monitors vendor performance and costs.
- Oversees post contracting officer and manages contracts.
- Coordinates contracting at post, with State Department offices and other USG agencies.
- Responsible for warehouse and inventory management, determines warehousing needs and manages warehouse space.
Shipping and Customs
- Manages official and personal effects shipments.
- Obtains diplomatic customs clearances and liaises with host-country customs officials.
- Advises post management, other USG agencies, and the Department concerning diplomatic import-export regulations.
Motor Pool and Vehicle Maintenance
- Manages vehicle fleets.
- Identifies and manages real property requirements.
- Negotiates commercial and residential leases.
- Coordinates with property owners on maintenance and other leased property issues.
- Manages property utilization policies.
- Manages programs for in country and international official travels.
- Maintains internal controls to safeguard against waste, fraud & mismanagement.
- Manages USG purchase cards programs.
- Fuel Management for Motor pool subunit
- Coordinates the Monthly workflow of GSO sub units.
- Prepares GSO unit weekly meetings and report to the GSO.
- Advises GSO on Corrective actions to correct anomalies and ensure compliance with the office regulations.
Note: This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by incumbent. Incumbent will be required to perform other duties as assigned by the agency.
Qualifications and Evaluations
Experience: Four years in a management position with two years in a business management position, warehouse, supply chain or government experience required. Two years of which must be in a supervisory position.
Job Knowledge: A detailed knowledge of all Department of State regulations pertaining to GSO activities, including Federal Acquisition Regulations, Transportation Regulations, Department of State Acquisition Regulations, Federal Travel Regulations, the Foreign Affairs Manual, and the Foreign Affairs Handbook. Knowledge on SHEM and OSHA guidelines and required practices and requirements. Knowledge of host country business practices (e.g., bargaining practices, cultivating relationships with government and private sector contacts) as well as the general structure of local administrative offices such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Diplomatic Services Bureau, Customs, Tax Authority, Motor Vehicle Authority.
Mandatory: Minimum of 4 years of college or university studies in Business Management, warehouse, supply chain management or Logistics required.
English: Level 3 – Level IV (fluency – reading/speaking/writing) in English and Level III in French and Hassaniya required.
Language skills may be tested.
Skills and Abilities: Good oral and written communication skills, to include ability to write clear and concise documents, reports, program and policy guidelines and ability to deliver oral presentations. Excellent inter-personal skills. Demonstrated ability to operate under pressure and to supervise multi-trade work force. Must lead process improvements within the entire GSO operation and assist other sections on quality control and process improvement. Ability to assess problems and develop realistic solutions. Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint programs and GSO-related software (ILMS, NEPA, etc.)
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (Nouakchott/Mauritania) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
How to Apply: Applicants must complete the following application process to be considered:
- Create an account on the Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA) website via the Embassy website https://mr.usembassy.gov/
- Choose Announcement Number Nouakchott-2023-038 General Services Assistant and complete the online application.
- Upload any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (eg. College/university degree, copy of orders/Assignment notification, SF50, DD-214, (if applicable)
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
To apply for this position, click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site https://mr.usembassy.gov/
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- Driver’s License
- Certificate or License
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Passport copy
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
Documents for Auto-Request:
- COM Approval for Members of Household
- Copy of Orders (applicants assigned to US Mission)
- DD-214 (Member Copy 4)
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Local Language Score
- Other Document
- Other Document 2
- Professional Diploma or License
- Proof of Citizenship (applicants assigned to US Mi
- SF-50 (applicants assigned to US Mission)
- University Degree
- Veteran’s Affairs Letter
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Nouakchott, Mauritania.
Pour soumettre votre candidature, prière suivre le lien ci-dessous :
Toutes les personnes intéressées par cette offre sont invitées à postuler sans distinction de genre.